Saturday, December 4, 2010

You see the rainbow?


I lost a friend last week that I've known for as long as I can remember. It is always hard when someone you know passes. Its especially difficult when their your age. It forces you to look closely at your life. He was a great guy and hero to many. He will be missed by those who knew and loved him. His death made me truly think about this life I am living. Am I truly living? I am doing my best and wonder... could be doing more?

My friend Heather is home from the hospital. They found a bone marrow donor for her. Thanks for all of the prayers but her journey is just beginning. Please keep praying for her!! She has had chemo and will be returning to the hospital for thirty days. After she comes home she will be in her room for over three months. Not in the rest of the home where her two little children are but in her bedroom. I spoke with her today. She informed me that although she felt better physically she wasn't doing well mentally. Heather told me that she's afraid. I informed her that there was nothing wrong with her being afraid. Its a normal and expected reaction to illness and especially to cancer.

I implored her to remain faithful. I also told her that being in her bedroom for over three months was better than not coming back home at all. As I told her, its easier for me to say looking in from the outside, but its true. Option one... never come home from the hospital. Option two... come home and be locked in my master bedroom for three months with a laptop/iPad, bathroom, iPod and television. I'm going for option two!

I am in no way making light of her situation because its dire. Her journey isn't over. Its just beginning. What I am doing is searching for the rainbow before the rain has stopped. I have learned to do that in life. I get up in the morning because I see the sun shining brightly through the clouds, in the fog and in the rain. I have to. I never used to and my life was a reflection of such. Once I changed my way of thinking and my view on what truly matters in life. Now I see the rainbow during NOT after every storm!

Please keep Heather in your prayers no matter what faith, religion or language you pray in. Pray that God comforts and keeps her. After this 100 day journey she will start living again. Make sure you look at your today and embrace all that you have. Remember the importance of loving yourself so that you can be a light in the lives of others as my friend was...

You see the rainbow? You know I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment