Thursday, June 3, 2010

Five stars for Self Convictions...




Self Convictions
R.J. Hamilton
Publisher: Bedside Books
Published: 2010
ISBN: 9781589825918
Pages: 220

From start to finish I was intrigued by the idea of telekinesis in R. J. Hamilton’s book, Self Convictions, as I’ve been in real life. However, the fast paced and sometimes violent journey of the main character, Brandon Hudson, went beyond what I could ever imagine. As his extraordinary powers emerge, one is thrust into a thrilling journey as his insanity comes to life through his experiences and the events that occur in the lives of those around him. This story was a page turner that I had to force myself to read at a slower pace. I was eager to finish it the first day because it snatches the reader’s attention from the Prelude holding onto it until the very last page.

Brandon is a character that one might envy, love and feel empathy for because of his powers. He appears at times to be a lost soul struggling with his real powers. Every time I thought one thing was going to happen, the author took the story in a different direction. As each event took place I felt a range of emotions—sadness, fear, anxiety, anger, nervousness and love. The author created an extremely vivid story making it hard to believe this is his first book. I highly recommend this fantasy book to readers looking to get lost in the mind of one with telekinesis. It might make you think twice about wanting the ability to read minds or seek revenge on someone using your mind rather than your hands.

The author challenges the reader to think about becoming at the very least a friend to the Hudson family, feel for them or wish to be with one of them. After reading this story I’ve decided to watch them from afar.

No comments:

Post a Comment