Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Dealing with every day things...

During my life I have learned that my feelings are best expressed in writing. When I am at a loss for what to say, I just grab a piece of paper and a pen. It comes out better that way for me. I have been doing this since I was very young. Jen's Nana had a stroke in April 2011 and I have been amazed at how quickly her life has changed. It has affected us as a result and me more than I expected it to. I pray for her daily and  in every interaction I am reminded just how fragile life is. After visiting her one afternoon my heart was heavy and this is the result...


My Nana. My Friend...
My heart cries for you as I watch your memories fade away
Now confused by simple things like the time of day
You used to read books at the speed of light,
Now you’re sleep before the sun sets at night.
You’re able to recall the lyrics of your favorite songs
It helps us keep hope and it’s how we remain strong
To watch you shimmy as the melody hits the air,
It’s the sway of your shoulders that keeps us right there.
Hanging onto your every word
Looking for a sign that we’ve been heard
Making new memories while holding onto the old,
Enjoying the new connections with you that we hold.
The light in your eyes comes back now and again
Somewhere lost in there is my Nana, my friend.
The joys you’ve owned aren’t lost in the past,
We’ll cherish these days for as long as they last…
SLP~ 

(C) 2012 by Stacey Pierce

No comments:

Post a Comment