Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tenderfoot book review...



Tenderfoot
Mary E. Trimble
Publisher: Treble Heart Books
Published: 2010
ISBN: 978196127092
Pages: 289

Tenderfoot is a romantic story full of suspense about writer, Corrie Stephens and her quest to find out all she can about ranching. In the midst of her quest to start life anew, she sells her home and ventures off to start a new life in Washington, settling into a small cottage on the land of rancher, J McClure. Corrie spends her time writing, ranching and meeting new people. She is living her life to the fullest since her divorce and is trying her best to stay out of J’s way. Against love after her husband cheated on her, she refuses to fall for J McClure. Corrie interacts with other townspeople trying to distract her emotions.

This story is a love story that takes place in 1980 when Mount St. Helens erupted. Corrie and her new friends, venture to camp out near the volcano thinking that an eruption won’t affect them. Despite the wishes of the authorities, scientists and especially J, they settle down a few days before the volcano erupted. Despite their efforts to not fall in love, J and Corrie’s feelings erupt as the volcano does. The book was quite vivid allowing the reader to experience a range of emotions—anxiety, fear, pain, joy and excitement—as Corrie travelled throughout her new life.

I must admit I was angry that Corrie would go up to the mountain and spend the night with two men that she didn’t know. But I became more angered that she would spend the weekend with them on this same mountain when the volcano was getting ready to erupt. I wanted to believe she was smarter than that but found out differently. In order to spite J and love, she put her life at risk. I enjoy books the most that I can get lost in and that is exactly what happen with this book. I felt the pain from the ash and had clear images of the ash as it fell.

I couldn’t put this book down finishing it in one day. I’m not into romance novels but with the story based around the eruption of Mount St. Helens, I almost forgot it was truly a love story. Ms. Trimble is a great storyteller which is easily reflected in her ability to tie a non-fiction event so closely together with fiction. Well done and I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to get lost in a love story filled with mystery and excitement… I promise you won’t be able to put it down!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Stacey, for this lovely review. I appreciate the depth and feeling you portray about Tenderfoot. Although it's hard to believe anyone would put their life at risk to be close to a mountain that's about to erupt, that is exactly what happened. Fifty-seven peoople died as the result of the Mount St. Helens eruption. It's hard to believe, isn't it?

    Thanks again for sharing your thoughts about Tenderfoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Trimble,

    I can absolutely guarantee that I would never be one of those people. It is amazing to think that it did happened. I thoroughly enjoyed your book!! Thanks!

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete